Carrigogunnell Castle in 1860-1883, Ireland
The area is first named in 1209 when King John granted Carrigogunnell to Donnachad Cairbreach O’Brien, King of Thomond. The castle may have been built by Brian Duv around 1449, possibly on the site of an earlier structure.
In 1536 during the reign of Henry VIII, Lord Leonard Grey, Lord Deputy of Ireland captured Carrigogunnell Castle and dispossessed the current owner, Mahowne O’Brien. Lord Grey eventually had Mahowne executed in Limerick for criminal activity.
In 1584 a second Brian Duv O’Brien, while Lord of Carrigogunnell, made a formal surrender of his lands to Queen Elizabeth, and got a re-grant from her of almost all Pubblebrian. He died in 1615. Brian Duff was succeeded by his only son Donough, who died in 1632, without an heir. His widow married Edmond, Lord of Castleconnell. In the early 1640’s, there was another Donough O’Brien of Carrigogunnell. He supported the Confederates in opposition to Cromwell but the castle was surrendered to Cromwell’s forces in 1651. The castle was destroyed in 1691 after the second seige of Limerick.
The ruins are near the village of Clarina, on the banks of the River Shannon in Co. Limerick.
More about Carrigogunnell Castle